Winds up to 18ks. Docking practice and anchoring with rope to chain retrieval.
ANCHOR PROCEDURE WITH 2ND BOW ANCHOR
1. Ready the anchor over the bow and above the waterline.
2. Lower the chain with the windlass.
3. Lower the nylon line with the rope gypsy. Do not lower the nylon line with the chain gypsy.
4. Allow the nylon line to run free if it is under a load. DO NOT STOP THIS LOADED LINE, YOU COULD GET HURT.
5. When operating the nylon line on the rope windlass always use 3 - 4 wraps to ensure enough friction between the line and the winch.
6. When transitioning from line to chain, first secure the line on the deck cleat, then manually place the chain on the windlass. Feed the nylon line into the anchor hold and then proceed to winch in the chain.
7. When backing down for the final set remove the nylon line from the windlass and secure it to the deck cleat. Reverse engine slowly to 2000rpm for 1 minute, take bearings and check the line for movement. Record procedure in log book.
Diane Berol is an ocean adventurer and the captain of Celtic Song based in San Diego, CA.