Before joining, crew members need to know basic nautical terminology (starboard vs. port, windward vs. leeward, terms for standing and running rigging), points of sail, right of way rules, and basic knots. Before your first class you should have submitted your application, which will have included:
Crew are expected to have a proactive approach to training (their own and other crew):
- Sign up for lessons and confirm attendance.
- Come prepared for every lesson.
- Contribute towards crew training (for skills that you have been checked off for)
stay safe and have fun
Crew are expected to prioritize safety (of the vessel and team members):
- Maintain knowledge of SOPs; your knowledge may be tested at any time.
- Be ready to adopt new procedures, technology, and methods.
- Be willing to be critiqued in an effort to improve our own abilities.
- Continually work on improving communication with fellow crew.