Perfect training day. After Kat's birthday party we all got to work on the Skills tracker. Check out the cleat training block made by Victoria!
Rolling hitches, coiling lines, leaving the dock, raising the main, heaving too and on and on and on. Super Job ladies!
FEBRUARY 19, 2021 Basic training and watermaker maintenance and how to clear a line from the winch: Christian and patsee and Diane
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you think you are going to get... " ---Someone
Biggest lesson today: Why a rolling hitch is important and how to clear a line from a winch
Winds up to 18ks. Docking practice and anchoring with rope to chain retrieval.
ANCHOR PROCEDURE WITH 2ND BOW ANCHOR
1. Ready the anchor over the bow and above the waterline.
2. Lower the chain with the windlass.
3. Lower the nylon line with the rope gypsy. Do not lower the nylon line with the chain gypsy.
4. Allow the nylon line to run free if it is under a load. DO NOT STOP THIS LOADED LINE, YOU COULD GET HURT.
5. When operating the nylon line on the rope windlass always use 3 - 4 wraps to ensure enough friction between the line and the winch.
6. When transitioning from line to chain, first secure the line on the deck cleat, then manually place the chain on the windlass. Feed the nylon line into the anchor hold and then proceed to winch in the chain.
7. When backing down for the final set remove the nylon line from the windlass and secure it to the deck cleat. Reverse engine slowly to 2000rpm for 1 minute, take bearings and check the line for movement. Record procedure in log book.
Insall GenSet (not finished), remove incorrect G70 anchor chain, Order correct G40 anchor chain from west marine. R and R emergency tiller deck plate with silicon grease. Scheduled haul out for July 12, 2021. Miles troubleshoot battery read outs.
February 5, 2021 - Patsee Ober - cqr anchor test below is 33Lb Vulcan with 25' chain and 350' of nylon line, Mantus 2.5 lb dinghy anchor with 7' chain and 100' nylon line, 25Lb danforth stern anchor with 15' chain and 250' of nylon line, lighthouse 150
Diane Berol is an ocean adventurer and the captain of Celtic Song based in San Diego, CA.